Federal Tax Information
Access federal tax forms and the most up-to-date tax, credit, and filing information.
Federal Taxes Phone Assistance for Individuals: 800-829-1040
To request paper copies for tax forms, instructions or publications call 800-829-3676.
Montana Tax Information and Forms
Montana Department of Revenue
State taxes information including Filing and Payment Options.
Local IRS Office in Helena, Montana:
For questions about available services or hours of operation, please call the local office: 406-441-1039. To Make an appointment: 844-545-5640.
Online Tax Help
My Free Taxes
MyFreeTaxes helps people file their taxes for free while getting the assistance they need. United Way provides MyFreeTaxes in partnership with the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to help filers prepare their tax returns on their own or have their return prepared for them for free. Provided by United Way Worldwide.
Local In-Person Tax Help Information
AARP Tax Help
At Rocky Mountain Development Council's Senior Center. Beginning February 4th through April 15th onThursdays and Saturdays only. Call 406-437-4095 starting January 19th, 2023 to make an appointment.
Good Samaritan Ministries
Call 406-564-7988 (Rural Dynamics Inc.) January 26-March 28. 11 AM-4 PM.
You will need to bring:
- A valid photo ID for you and you spouse (if married filing jointly) - for married filing jointly both spouses must be present
- Social Security cards or ITIN notices/cards for ALL INDIVIDUALS on tax return
- Birthdates for ALL INDIVIDUALS on tax return
- All forms W-2, 1099, and information for any other income
- Information for all deductions and credits
- Form 1095-A, B, or C (ACA statements) from insurer
- Total paid to childcare provider and their tax ID number
- Copy of prior year tax return
- Bank account information for refund direct deposit or proof of account for electronic funds withdrawl
TAXES CANNOT BE COMPLETED WITHOUT THESE DOCUMENTS AT THE TIME OF SERVICE
All sites listed offer FREE tax prep and electronic filing for basic returns. SITES WILL NOT PREPARE THE FOLLOWING: Schedule C with issues, complicated Schedule D, E, or F, Forms SS-5, SS-8, 8606, or 8615/8814, Parts 4&5 of Form 8962; or any income tax returns beyond the volunteer's certification. Please see a professional preparer for assistance with complicated returns.