Checkouts and Renewals
Checkout Loan Periods
There is no item limit on your library card. There is a checkout period of 28 days for most items. Some items like new books, library of things items, and videos checkout for only 14 days.
Most items may be renewed for another 28 day days if the item is not on hold for another patron. You may renew your items in person, on the phone to library staff, or over the Internet from home or at the library. There is a 2-time limit on renewals. You can renew you items four ways:
- In-person - You can talk to any staff member at any of our branches to renew your items.
- Call Us - You can call 406-447-1690, ext. 5 any time during the above hours and talk to someone in public services to renew your items. Please remember we do not renew items by voicemail.
- Online - To renew online you need to log into your account. You can do so by clicking on the My Account/Renew button on the top of the page or by clicking here.
- Mobile App - You can renew you items by using our mobile app. See below for more information on the mobile app.
After you log into your account using the link above, click on Checkouts at the top. This will display the items you currently have checked out. If a renewal is possible, there will be a active checkbox next to the item. Check the boxes for the items you want to renew and click the Renew button. You can also check the Select All box to renew all the items that can be renewed.
Fees and suspensions
- Accounts with items more than 30 days overdue will be suspended.
- There is a processing fee of $5 for lost or damaged materials.
- Once an item has been overdue for more than 42 days, your account may be turned over to a collection agency, and your account will be charged a $10 collection fee.
Our mobile app offers the following features:
- Easy account access & digital library cards for the whole family
- Place and manage holds
- Renew materials and review current checkouts
- View nearby libraries and open hours
- Digitally browse the library and find your item
The app is available on ios and Android devices.
SMS Text Notification Service
Keep up-to-date with your library account activity on your mobile phone via text message. Please note that while the Library does not charge a fee to use the SMS service, your mobile phone service plan standard text messaging rates apply.
With the SMS text messaging service, you can use your mobile phone to receive text notices about holds that are available, items that are due soon, overdue items, fines that are added to your account and renew items. Texts will be sent only when activity on your account triggers a message and will usually arrive around 9am.
If you have questions about SMS, or if you have trouble signing up, please contact us at (406) 447-1690.
What You Need:
- A mobile phone and wireless service that can send text messages to an email address.- The barcode number from your Library card.
- The PIN for your library account. If you don't know your pin, please contact us at (406) 447-1690.
Sign up with the SMS service
You can opt-in or subscribe to the SMS service by accessing your account online.
- Log into your library account by clicking here
- After logging in, click on the Personal Information tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the personal information page, and expand the SMS (Text) Notifications option
- Fill in the fields for your phone number, and what types of SMS notifications you would like to receive
- After filling out the fields, click on save